2017 Summer Fun Photo Contest Winners – “One Love” Gets Grand Prize
Sep30

2017 Summer Fun Photo Contest Winners – “One Love” Gets Grand Prize

August 30, 2017 Thank you to everyone who entered the 2017 Summer Fun Photography Contest. In this issue, we are publishing all the entries that were selected by judges as the top photographs. In the next issue, the September Update issue, The Peak will publish the winner of the Diners’ Choice Award selected by guests at GPPA’s Summit of Summer Fun on September 9th. We will be publishing selected non-winning photographs in the...

Read More
In Remembrance of a Golfer Named Palmer
Sep30

In Remembrance of a Golfer Named Palmer

September 13, 2017 By Dave Wells A reporter once asked actor Kirk Douglas, “Of the famous people you have known. who possessed the most personal magnetism?” The reporter then reeled off a list of celebrities that included John Wayne, Ronald Reagan and Frank Sinatra. The reporter, obviously not a golf enthusiast, was taken aback when Douglas instantly responded, “Arnold Palmer.” Many have said that Palmer brought the game...

Read More
“Sail Away” is 2017 Summer Fun Diners’ Choice
Sep15

“Sail Away” is 2017 Summer Fun Diners’ Choice

September 15, 2017 By Les Conklin GPPA thanks former Scottsdale mayor “Sam” Kathryn Campana, Scottsdale councilman David Smith, and Evelyn Johnson, Executive Director, Cave Creek Museum, and all the other guests who attended the Summit of Summer Fun on September, 9th at the Summit Diner. Guests included most of  the winners of this year’s Summer Fun Photography and Write Stuff Contests.  Thanks also to GPPA...

Read More
“The Western Lifestyle” by Barb Owings, Write Stuff Winner
Sep15

“The Western Lifestyle” by Barb Owings, Write Stuff Winner

Winner, What’s Worth Preserving Category 2017 Summer Fun Write Stuff Contest The Western Lifestyle By Barb Owings August 27, 2017   I thought about it long and hard Every day while sitting in my yard What, I thought, was most worthwhile That I should mentally file Through life so many things come and go To make me happy and sometimes low But it didn’t take too long to decide And it happened when I went out for a ride On a...

Read More
2017 Summer Fun Write Stuff Winners – “Say! Phoebes” Gets Grand Prize
Sep14

2017 Summer Fun Write Stuff Winners – “Say! Phoebes” Gets Grand Prize

August 30, 2017 The Peak’s 2017 Summer Fun Write Stuff Contest ended on August 27th. This was the contest’s 14th consecutive year and again this year  we’ve received  excellent articles and poems. Thank you! And the winners are – “Say! Phoebes” by Stephanie Bradley – Liz Stapleton Ogden Award (Grand Prize) “A Western Lifestyle” by Barbara Owings – Winner What’s Worth...

Read More
MORE Prizes for Photo & Write Stuff Winners, Deadline 8/27
Aug22

MORE Prizes for Photo & Write Stuff Winners, Deadline 8/27

July 14, 2017 Hit the Lottery, Gain Recognition Online and in GPPA’s Printed Annual Calendar, and More It’s summer. How does The Peak entice you to leave the pool and enter a Summer Fun contest? #1. Make the Grand Prize for each contest a one-night stay at the Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale, including breakfast at the resort’s Proof Restaurant. Show a picture of the resort’s pool in articles about the contests...

Read More
Sneak Peeks: Road Scholars Award
Aug15

Sneak Peeks: Road Scholars Award

August 15, 2017 By Les Conklin Look at the picture of the building to the right, a landmark in Providence, Rhode Island. Do you see the statue of a man at the very top? When I was a boy, I was riding past that building with my grandparents when my grandmother. who had traced our family’s history, pointed out of the car window and exclaimed, “That is your ancestor, Roger Williams ((1603 – 1683), up there. He founded...

Read More
GPPA’s 4th Summit of Summer Fun, Saturday, Sept. 9, 6 PM
Aug15

GPPA’s 4th Summit of Summer Fun, Saturday, Sept. 9, 6 PM

Relax, Learn, and Celebrate Past, Present and Future! If you entered The Peak’s Summer Fun Photography or Write Stuff Contests, are a Friends of the Scenic Drive volunteer, GPPA member or supporter, want to help honor our top volunteers, and learn more about Scottsdale’s proposed Desert Edge, then this event is for you, your friends and family. Mark September 9th, 6 p.m.  on your calendar.  GPPA’s 4th Summit of Summer Fun...

Read More
Medicare Corner 2
Aug02

Medicare Corner 2

July 31, 2017 Dear Medicare Counselor, Q: I am turning 65 in three months and I become Medicare eligible the first of the month that I turn 65. I am still working and I have health insurance through my company. Do I need to enroll into Medicare? A: No. IF you are covered by an Employer Group Health Plan (EGHP) through your current active employment or your spouse’s active employment, you may stay with your group plan. You do not need...

Read More
The “Y” in July
Jul24

The “Y” in July

July 24, 2017 By Edie Shannon I go to the “Y” in July Too hot to go hiking, sez I So I tread on a mill, And not up a hill When I go to the “Y” in July The Peak Welcomes Your Comment The Peak invites you to share your thoughts about this article by using the “Submit a Comment” box at the bottom of this page. All comments are reviewed based on The Peak’s Comment Policy prior to publishing. GPPA Membership Make a...

Read More