Scottsdale’s Terravita Country Club to Invest $5.2 Million in Clubhouse
Apr01

Scottsdale’s Terravita Country Club to Invest $5.2 Million in Clubhouse

March 13, 2018 Courtesy of Terravita Country Club North Scottsdale country club to implement third part of long-term strategic capital improvement plan. Terravita Country Club, located in North Scottsdale, will break ground on a $5.2 million remodel of the club’s 22-year-old Clubhouse in April 2018. The project is expected to take eight months to complete. The Clubhouse is designed to deliver high-quality improvements,...

Read More
Look Here! New Column for Peak Readers – “Get Out of Your Room!”
Mar15

Look Here! New Column for Peak Readers – “Get Out of Your Room!”

March 14, 2018 Introducing a New Column By and For The Peak’s Readers   In the February Update 2018 issue of The Peak, we published Rick Smith’s article “Get Out of Your Room!” Here is Rick’s opening paragraph – “There was only one thing left for me to do. Just turn the ignition key, put the car in gear and drive away. I’d already walked out of the audition room full of people....

Read More
Get Out of Your Room! by Rick Smith
Feb11

Get Out of Your Room! by Rick Smith

February 15, 2018 Another excellent article from former journalist and Peak editorial contributor Rick Smith. Actually, the title is a great idea for a column. What activity do you and other Peak’s readers participate in to provide a change of pace or a fresh start? Editor Get Out of Your Room! By Rick Smith There was only one thing left for me to do. Just turn the ignition key, put the car in gear and drive away. I’d...

Read More
Peak Contributor’s Photo Selected for 2018 AZGFD Calendar
Jan16

Peak Contributor’s Photo Selected for 2018 AZGFD Calendar

December 28, 2017 Tom Mangelsdorf, a frequent photography contributor to The Peak, has won an “Honorable Mention” in the 2018 Arizona Game & Fish Department’s 2018 calendar contest. More than 600 photographs state-wide were entered in the contest. Tom learned about the contest from an article published in The Peak several months ago. In his winning photograph a Gila woodpecker and a honey bee make visual contact. They were both...

Read More
Everest Base Camp Trek: A Photo Journal, Part 3
Jan01

Everest Base Camp Trek: A Photo Journal, Part 3

December 31, 2017 Story and Photographs by Bob Conklin   Part 3. Onward and Upward Welcome to the third part of this four-part series. Adventure of a Lifetime, Part 1. [Read More] described my pre-trip research and preparations. Starting Place Surprise, Part 2. [Read More] covered our Everest Base Camp trek from our weather-revised starting point of Phapla, Nepal to Namche Bazaar. In this, the third part, we hike onward and...

Read More
Everest Base Camp Trek: A Photo Journal, Part 2.
Dec14

Everest Base Camp Trek: A Photo Journal, Part 2.

December 9, 2017 Story and photographs by Bob Conklin   Part 2. Starting Point Surprise Welcome to the second part of this four-part series. By writing this series, I’m personally re-enjoying my recent trip to Nepal while sharing my experiences and photographs with you. Adventure of a Lifetime, Part 1 described my pre-trip research and preparations. I recommend reading it before you climb into this part, which...

Read More
A True Adventure Story for the Holidays
Nov28

A True Adventure Story for the Holidays

November 15, 2018 Prologue Finding the Way with Humor and Optimism After every big holiday meal, a member of my family will say, “We should go for a walk.” When that happens this year, I’ll surely mention the story below. Did you ever wonder what it would be like to go for a three-mile walk in downtown Scottsdale with your eyes closed? The thought has probably never crossed your mind, but if you took such a risky stroll and survived,...

Read More
The Detour by Rick Smith
Oct15

The Detour by Rick Smith

October 14, 2017 The Detour By Rick Smith As detours go, it wasn’t that bad. Of course, it wasn’t really a detour at all. What it was, was my own lack of homework – otherwise, I would have known about the section of California’s famed Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) that had been washed away by a landslide from torrential winter rains. The story had been on CNN and all over the news back in January. But I missed...

Read More
Images of Summer Fun 2017
Oct01

Images of Summer Fun 2017

September 30, 2017 Summer Fun 2017 is over but terrific images and articles remain. Thanks again to all those who entered this year’s photography and writing contests, and attended the Summit of Summer Fun.  Enjoy these photographs! They prove that we live in an exceptionally beautiful place.               The Peak Welcomes Your Comment The Peak invites you to share your thoughts about this...

Read More
“Unsung Heroes” by Edie Shannon, Write Stuff Winner
Sep30

“Unsung Heroes” by Edie Shannon, Write Stuff Winner

Winner, My Hero Category 2017 Summer Fun Write Stuff Contest Unsung Heroes By Edie Shannon August 27, 2017   Scottsdale is a wonderful place to visit and live. It has places to go, things to do. Great restaurants, art galleries, theater, mountains to climb, world class resorts. But Scottsdale is a lot more than Fashion Square, although that is a lovely place to shop. It is more than the art galleries, restaurants, theaters and...

Read More