2017 Summer Fun Write Stuff Winners – “Say! Phoebes” Gets Grand Prize
Sep14

2017 Summer Fun Write Stuff Winners – “Say! Phoebes” Gets Grand Prize

August 30, 2017 The Peak’s 2017 Summer Fun Write Stuff Contest ended on August 27th. This was the contest’s 14th consecutive year and again this year  we’ve received  excellent articles and poems. Thank you! And the winners are – “Say! Phoebes” by Stephanie Bradley – Liz Stapleton Ogden Award (Grand Prize) “A Western Lifestyle” by Barbara Owings – Winner What’s Worth...

Read More
MORE Prizes for Photo & Write Stuff Winners, Deadline 8/27
Aug22

MORE Prizes for Photo & Write Stuff Winners, Deadline 8/27

July 14, 2017 Hit the Lottery, Gain Recognition Online and in GPPA’s Printed Annual Calendar, and More It’s summer. How does The Peak entice you to leave the pool and enter a Summer Fun contest? #1. Make the Grand Prize for each contest a one-night stay at the Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale, including breakfast at the resort’s Proof Restaurant. Show a picture of the resort’s pool in articles about the contests...

Read More
First Day in School: Dreaded Day by Manuel Germano
Aug18

First Day in School: Dreaded Day by Manuel Germano

Updated: August, 18, 2017 Prologue As my grandchildren head off to college, high school and middle school, I am reminded of “Duke” Germano  and the remarkable article that begins below. It is an incredible story. I hope my grandkids read it and I hope you do too. Manuel Daniel Germano did not go to school until he was seven, when he was “sent away” to Perkins School of the Blind, originally named the Asylum for...

Read More
Sneak Peeks: Road Scholars Award
Aug15

Sneak Peeks: Road Scholars Award

August 15, 2017 By Les Conklin Look at the picture of the building to the right, a landmark in Providence, Rhode Island. Do you see the statue of a man at the very top? When I was a boy, I was riding past that building with my grandparents when my grandmother. who had traced our family’s history, pointed out of the car window and exclaimed, “That is your ancestor, Roger Williams ((1603 – 1683), up there. He founded...

Read More
GPPA’s 4th Summit of Summer Fun, Saturday, Sept. 9, 6 PM
Aug15

GPPA’s 4th Summit of Summer Fun, Saturday, Sept. 9, 6 PM

Relax, Learn, and Celebrate Past, Present and Future! If you entered The Peak’s Summer Fun Photography or Write Stuff Contests, are a Friends of the Scenic Drive volunteer, GPPA member or supporter, want to help honor our top volunteers, and learn more about Scottsdale’s proposed Desert Edge, then this event is for you, your friends and family. Mark September 9th, 6 p.m.  on your calendar.  GPPA’s 4th Summit of Summer Fun...

Read More
Medicare Corner 2
Aug02

Medicare Corner 2

July 31, 2017 Dear Medicare Counselor, Q: I am turning 65 in three months and I become Medicare eligible the first of the month that I turn 65. I am still working and I have health insurance through my company. Do I need to enroll into Medicare? A: No. IF you are covered by an Employer Group Health Plan (EGHP) through your current active employment or your spouse’s active employment, you may stay with your group plan. You do not need...

Read More
The “Y” in July
Jul24

The “Y” in July

July 24, 2017 By Edie Shannon I go to the “Y” in July Too hot to go hiking, sez I So I tread on a mill, And not up a hill When I go to the “Y” in July The Peak Welcomes Your Comment The Peak invites you to share your thoughts about this article by using the “Submit a Comment” box at the bottom of this page. All comments are reviewed based on The Peak’s Comment Policy prior to publishing. GPPA Membership Make a...

Read More
Write Stuff: Russian Visitors and Large Animals
Jul15

Write Stuff: Russian Visitors and Large Animals

June 11, 2017 Editorial Note: Since Russia is very much in the news and the 2017 Summer Fun Write Stuff Contest is underway, this seems like a perfect time to bring back this creative contribution by John Thompson of Carefree. In the June 2005 issue of A Peek at the Peak (The Peak), we announced the winners of our “The Write Stuff Challenge: The Tall Story.” Contestants were required to write a story that was filled with...

Read More
Medicare Corner 1
Jul14

Medicare Corner 1

June 30, 2017 Dear Medicare Counselor, Q: I have a Medicare drug plan and they have stopped covering one of my medications. What are my options? A: You have several options: You may switch Medicare drug plans every year during the Open Enrollment Period (OEP) between October 15 and December 7. A SHIP Medicare Counselor can help you search and identify which plans cover your medications for least cost for the coming year starting Jan...

Read More
Enter Summer Fun Photo Contest: Win Stay at Four Seasons Resort
Jul14

Enter Summer Fun Photo Contest: Win Stay at Four Seasons Resort

Terrific Prizes! Announcing The Peak’s 14th Annual Summer Fun Photography Contest Fun, Get Prizes, Published, and Recognition Time to start clicking or digging through your favorite photographs.  It’s time for The Peak’s Summer Fun Photography  Contest. It’s free, easy to enter and there are six opportunities to win: Travel, Landscape, Wildlife, Scenic Drive, Local People and Grand Prize. Prizes are being awarded based on...

Read More